Farmhouse Cheddar Biscuits
Pour yourself a bold beer to pair with this Southern treat. These Farmhouse Cheddar Biscuits are easy to prepare and compliment full-flavored beers splendidly.
1 1/2 cups (375 mL) all-purpose flour
1/2 cup (125 mL) yellow cornmeal
2 Tbsp (30 mL) granulated sugar
2 tsp (10 mL) salt
1 1/2 Tbsp (22 mL) baking powder
1/2 Tbsp (7 mL) baking soda
2 cups (500 mL) farmhouse cheddar
1/2 cup (125 mL) cold butter
1 large egg
3/4 cup (180 mL) buttermilk
1 bunch green onions, sliced
2 chipotle peppers, finely chopped
Two 12-cup muffin tins
makes 16 biscuits
In the southern United States, biscuits are an essential part of almost any meal. If you wish, you can try these with jalapeños in place of chipotle peppers or omit the hot stuff completely.
• Preheat the oven to 325˚f (160˚c).
• Grease 16 cups of two 12-cup muffin tins.
• In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, cornmeal, sugar, salt, baking powder, and baking soda. Mix well.
• Using a grater, grate cheese and the butter into the dry ingredients. Mix together with your hands until texture becomes mealy. Add remaining ingredients and, using your hands or a wooden spoon, combine until just brought together. Do not overmix, or biscuits will become tough.
• Evenly distribute the biscuit dough in the prepared muffin tins and bake for 10 minutes. Rotate the tins and finish baking for another 5 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the centre of a biscuit comes out clean and the tops are golden brown.
Learn more about The Beerbistro Cookbook where this recipe came from by click here.